Thursday, June 9, 2016

Five for Friday ~ June 10


Hello!
Happy Friday!!!  I'm so ready for Friday, how about you?  Here in the Pacific Northwest we have one more week of school left.  Summer is coming... summer is coming... summer is coming.  If I say it enough I'll believe it.

Here's what I've been up to lately...





I accepted a long-term sub job 3 weeks ago that lasts until the end of the year.  I am a support staff in a social emotional classroom that has 6 kiddos in grades 2-6.  I have been learning tons about how to manage those high teacher time intense behaviors.  When I (hopefully) have my own classroom in the fall I will be equipped with all sorts of new tools to manage behaviors in my room.  I'm looking forward to resuming my teaching career after 3 years off.  Year 16 here I come...


Anyone else still in school?  Anyone?  Anyone?  




We got a puppy!  His name is Hundley.  We got him on May 6.  He is now 3 months old and has almost doubled in size from these pictures.  He was just at the vet and has gained 10.5 lbs in 3 weeks.  Now we have to monitor his joints to make sure he isn't growing too quickly.  He's a golden doodle and we are all in love... except for dealing with the house training and biting.  Any puppy experts out there with great advice?  I'm all ears!  :)


Well if there is anyone else out there in school and you're in need of last week of school activities, I finished this unit this week and got it posted in my store.


When I taught second grade I always hosted a "Before we Split for the Summer Banana Split Party".  It got me thinking... why not make a unit based on the banana split theme for the last week or two of school?  So I did!  :)  I'll definitely be using this next year in my class.  It includes a mini how-to writing unit on how to make a banana split.  There are fun word activities like word unscramble, word search, abc order, and a boggle type activity.  I included a glyph for an art project and a fun BINGO game.  And then there's everything you need to host a banana split party.  Except for the ice cream, of course.  :)


Any teachers out there who love to read?  Anyone looking for some great book ideas for what to read this summer?  Have you discovered The Modern Mrs. Darcy yet?  I LOVE her blog.  It's where I find most of my books I want to read.  I just discovered that she has a podcast!  GASP!  It's called "What Should I Read Next?"  (Insert sound of Goodreads list growing here)  I'm addicted!  I listen to it on walks in the morning with Hundley, to and from work, at night in bed, etc... Here's the link and here's hoping you find some great summer reads!


To those of you on summer break, congrats!  You deserve a long-earned break.  To those of us still teaching for a few more days, hang in there!  We can do it!  The end is in sight!



17 comments:

  1. Hi Joya! Cute, cute puppy! I have had two dogs in my adult life– with the first one, Potato, we had a trainer come to our house for three visits, and for Popeye, our current little old scamp, we put her in three or four classes, starting with puppy kindergarten. That training for them– and us– was invaluable! I highly recommend it, starting this summer with puppy kindergarten. I will check out The Modern Mrs. Darcy, and YES, I am STILL in school for another week! I send you good, good wishes for getting your own classroom next year, too! See you next time, Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen!
      Definitely calling to sign Hundley up for puppy kindergarten this summer! I thought I had to wait for some reason but I checked and they start at 10 weeks. He's 12 so he's good to go! I hope you love the modern mrs darcy as much as I do! I can't wait to get some summer reading in. Hang in there for your last week! See you soon friend!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  2. I have to check out the Modern Mrs. Darcy - I love getting great book recommendations! Have a happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rissa,
      Hope you find some great books to read this summer!

      Joya :)

      Delete
  3. Love how you say you've been promoted to be a stay-at-home Mom (in your about section)! :) Enjoy the break :) www.littlescratch.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,
      Thanks! It felt like a much-deserved promotion, that's for sure! After 15 years in the classroom the time at home with my kiddos was amazing but also way harder than working. Sadly I will need to update my about section this fall when I head back into the classroom. But my youngest will be starting Kindergarten and so the timing is perfect. Thanks for stopping by!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  4. We just wrapped up today! I'll be checking out Modern Mrs. Darcy...sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! Hope you find some great books to read!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  5. How fun to have a place to go to find a good book to read! I am definitely going to check that out..

    Have a wonderful summer!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy,
      I hope you find some great books to read for the summer! Hope you have a wonderful summer as well!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  6. I have 7 more school days left. It feels like no time at all, and yet way too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristine,
      I will be thinking about you as you finish a couple days after me! Hang in there! We're nearly done and summer is around the corner!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  7. Your puppy is super cute!!! Looks squishy and lovable :)
    Our kids finished school on June 2nd (instead of June 24th!!!) but I'm at an international school so I have to stay here until June 30th! Working, without students. Ah well. I hope you have a great last week of school!
    Lindsay
    Word Walls & Wanderlust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay! While it's a pain to be at work, I hope you're getting lots done without the kiddos there. :) Hang in there!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  8. I love your idea of a "Before we split" banana split party! I need to remember that for next year.. I'll definitely check out the banana split unit, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many ideas 'for next year". I think I need to create a pinterest board just for that! Enjoy your summer!
      Joya :)

      Delete