Thursday, August 13, 2015

Humpty Dumpty



Hello Friends!
Story hour last week was all about Humpty Dumpty.  I had started introducing the nursery rhyme the previous week so they were somewhat familiar with it.  We particularly enjoy the part where Humpty Dumpty has a great fall.  :)

I started by giving each child a book. 

I made these mini-books in black and white and in color.  I gave the kiddos the black and white ones figuring they would enjoy taking them home and coloring them and re-reading the book.  We read it as a whole group first.  I had the kiddos point to Humpty Dumpty, the wall, Humpty Dumpty having a great fall, the horse, the King's men, and the sad and broken Humpty. 

These Humpty Dumpty books (as well as other nursery rhyme books) are available in my TpT store for $1.  Click the cover below to head over and grab them.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Nursery-Rhymes-Humpty-Dumpty-2012768


We read/sang along three times.  Afterwards we sang all our regular songs.  The kids weren't as into it as usual since they had seen the craft sitting out on the table and were anxious to make their craft. 

We headed over to the craft table.  For the craft I tweaked an idea from i heart crafty things.  I had to simplify her idea for my toddlers and preschoolers who are still working on their scissor skills.  I free-drew the patterns for Humpty Dumpty on white construction paper.  I made mine only 3 pieces.  You can grab one here

I pre-cut the pieces and used mini clothespins to keep the pieces together for each puzzle.  I let the kiddos choose which color construction paper to assemble their Humpty Dumpty on. 


Then I got out the band-aids and they had so much fun putting their Humpty Dumpty back together again!

What fun activities do you like to do with your kiddos involving nursery rhymes?  Let's share some inspiration in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment