Monday, June 8, 2015

Toddler Tuesdays And Preschoolers Too! ~Freight Train!


 Hello Friends!
This post is very overdue but I still wanted to sneak it in before tomorrow's story hour.  Here's another edition of Toddler Tuesdays and Preschoolers Too!

preschool, stories, crafts, snacks

This week it was all about trains.  My son has loved trains and books about trains since he was two years old.  This book has been one of his favorites.  I'm surprised I hadn't thought to use it yet.





We all love Donald Crews books right?  Great pictures and accessible text for young learners.  This book also lends itself to discussion about colors and identifying colors.  I wish I had a picture but all the kiddos took turns coming up and telling me the colors of the trains.

Then it time to sing our songs.  I added two train songs... Down by the Station and I've Been Working on the Railroad.  

preschool, songs
I have to admit, I was feeling pretty proud of myself for coming up with this art project all on my own.  I didn't peek at Pinterest, I promise!

I bought sponges at the grocery store and cut them in half.

freight train, preschool, preschool crafts
Then I grabbed my paint and poured it onto paper plates and put a few sponges on each plate.  Meanwhile the kiddos and parents were busy cutting their white paper into half lengthwise and taping it together to make room for all the colors in their trains.

Freight Train, preschool, preschool stories, preschool crafts
I don't have any pictures of the kiddos actually sponge painting.  I was so busy helping my son with his project.  (Mom/teacher fail)

The kids loved making their trains.  For the wheels we let them choose to paint the wheels with a paintbrush or using one finger.  My son chose to use his finger.

Freight Train, preschool crafts, preschool stories, Donald Crews

preschool, freight train, donald crews, preschool stories, preschool crafts

freight train, preschool stories, preschool crafts, donald crews
A mom came up with a cute train snack.  Guess what part was the favorite?  Yup, the steam (or the smoke, as the kids called it).

freight train, preschool stories, preschool crafts, preschool snacks, donald crews

Looking for more ideas for toddlers and preschoolers?  Check out my other blog posts here and here.

What are your favorite train themed activities??

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea. Seriously so cute and so impressed that you thought of it without Pinterest. I LOVE pinterest for all of the amazing ideas but I think it has made us all forget that we are creative and can come up with amazing ideas on our own! Good work girl!

    Sara
    Sara J Creations

    ReplyDelete