Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Toddler Tuesdays and Preschoolers Too! ~Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!


Hello!

It feels so good to be back!  I've missed blogging.  We've had lots of family visiting for the past 3 weeks and so I took a break from it all and enjoyed time with all our guests.  All our fun adventures are coming in another post but for now I'm excited to bring back "Toddler Tuesdays"!


This week we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! by Bill Martin Jr.  A classic for sure!  We read this book over a year ago but our group has changed and what we did with it was completely different this time around.  We have many of our friends who are traveling right now so our group is small.  But we carry on and have fun together anyways!

If you read my first post (many moons ago it feels like) you'll know that I changed things up and started reading the story first.  Works amazingly well!  You should've seen my preschoolers and toddlers yelling "letters!" as I was reading the story.  I was thrilled since this was our craft focus this time... letters!

After the story we sang our songs.  Here's our song list...


After we sang our songs they were ready for our project.  As I mentioned above, I wanted to focus on the letters part of the story for our project since our toddlers and preschoolers are headed to preschool in the fall.  We started by making palm tree leaves using our handprints and green paint.  I had 2 shades of green available for them to use.  Parents and caregivers painted the hands and helped with placement on the paper.  Then some of the kiddos chose to paint their trunks, other kiddos worked with their caregivers to paint the trunks on using brown paint.  After that it was time for letters!  A mom recently gave me a big bag of foam letters and numbers.  I was excited to have come up with a way to use them!  The kids had so much fun gluing their letters on their trees.  Almost every kiddo was able to name most of the letters they were putting on their tree.  Here are the final results…

 Lots of letters in this tree!


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom!  Oh no! 


 Our littlest guy made this one.  He's not yet two.


Someone had fun with her hands in the paint!


Don't forget the coconuts!


We ended with a simple snack of veggie chips (a huge favorite right now) and some animal cookies.  Yum!  

Stay tuned for next week!  Memorial Day is our theme!

No comments:

Post a Comment