Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Toddler Tuesday ~ And Preschoolers Too!

Hi Again!
I'm excited to actually be sitting down and sharing what we did for preschool story hour today.  On the actual day we did it!  Imagine that!  I'm usually a couple of days behind in posting.  So here's today's Toddler Tuesdays post!
 Today I focused on Memorial Day with the kids.  Yesterday was Memorial Day and actually a holiday here in the Bahamas called Whit Monday.  I went hunting on the internet for a cute flag craft that my toddlers and preschoolers could make.  Thanks to housingaforest.com, I found one!

It was a small group today.  Many of our friends are still traveling.  We started with our book.  I read The Pledge of Allegiance by Scholastic.  It has great pictures that lead to really good discussions.

Then we sang our songs.  I really need to introduce some new songs...but they love these so much!


Then it was time for our art project.





First I gave each child a piece of red construction paper.  3 of the 4 were able to cut the strips.  We (the adults) showed them how to cut it the long way.  For my son I had him follow my finger with his scissors, making sure he didn't cut my finger.  :)  Are the stripes perfect?  No.  But I wanted them to gain experience and confidence in using scissors.  Honestly, I think the crooked stripes are pretty cute.  :)

Then they glued their red stripes on a piece of white construction paper.

Then it was time for the blue square.  I folded a piece of blue construction paper into squares and had the kids follow the fold lines as best as they could.

Next they glued their blue squares in the top left corner of their paper.  They glued it over the red stripes.




Then it was time for the stars!  They all started out doing a really good job making white dots for the stars....

Then my son decided to smear and paint the whole thing... there's always one in a group.  And the others followed.

When we were done we enjoyed a red, white, and blue snack of yogurt with strawberries and blueberries.  Yum!




Now to think of a theme for next week...


No comments:

Post a Comment