Wednesday, December 10, 2014

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

 Happy Holidays Everyone!
 I have a ton of academic content I really want to blog about but I just can't do it right now.  Not with Christmas on the brain!  I love Christmas!  I have since I can remember.  My parents did a really good job of making it special and magical... more on that in another post.  :)  For this post I thought I would share what I've been up to since I haven't blogged in awhile (except for a couple linkies).  We have been getting ready...

Jingles (our elf) reappeared.  He is a silly and kind elf.  He notices when the kids are really kind to each other and when they need help.  He is always ending up in silly places.  Suri's sleeping bag, our play kitchen oven, our toy camper, etc...




My daughter has had a couple of play dates recently.  To get the girls in the spirit and give them something fun to do I dug out some of my faves from the classroom... an elf project and a grinch project.  Both are from Deanna Jump.  You can get them here and here.



Then it was time to put the lights up outside and introduce our newest member of our holiday decorations.... The Santa Camper!!!!  He comes out of the camper door and waves and then goes back in.  It's a huge hit in the neighborhood.  Kids come by every night to give Santa a hug.

Once the outside was done, it was time to get our Christmas tree and decorate it.  We have a spot where we like to go and get our tree.  Unfortunately this year the ATM machines weren't working the weekend we decided to get our tree.  No cash, no tree from our favorite spot.  So we headed to the grocery store.  At least there we could use our card.  We put it up and let it drink lots of water for a day.  We had a hot cocoa and decorating the tree party the next day.  We let the kids put up most of the ornaments, except for really fragile or special ones.  Our tree is not glamorous in any way, but the kids got to do it, and they LOVE it.  I just took a step back and relinquished control. :)  And yes... that is Winne the Pooh dressed as an angel on top of our tree.


Along with my two kiddos at home, I've been working hard with our preschool story hour kiddos to get them ready and in the spirit for Christmas.  Last week we made handprint Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and had reindeer antlers for snack.  The kids giggled when we painted their hands.

This week we made handprint Santa ornaments.  My friend and co-teacher made green and red rice krispy treats for snack.  Yum!




And at home we have been reading a book I created as we are focusing on the real reason for the season... Jesus.  I made this book to introduce the "characters" in the story of Jesus' birth.  We do the read-aloud version with Levi.  Suri knows the characters now and is excited to make her own book with her own illustrations.  Pictures in a future post...promise!  Click the picture to head over to my TpT store to grab a copy for your family.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Savior-Savior-What-Do-You-See-1580612

And I myself am immersed in the "Oh Come Let Us Adore Him" plan on the She Reads Truth app.  I have the journal that accompanies the plan for the first time and I am loving it!  I spend a few moments every morning and evening reading and rereading the verses and reflecting on them.  For this is the season to adore Him and have Hope in Him.  There is no greater comfort than the Hope I find in Him.

What are you doing to get ready this season??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment