Friday, November 7, 2014

Five for Friday!

 fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Happy Friday!  I can't believe its' Friday already and November at that!  Time is really flying lately.  I'm linking up with Kacey from Doodlebugs Teaching for a Five for Friday linky party.  Here's what we were up to this week...
Divider 1
School projects.  My daughter had 2 projects due this week.  One was a how-to presentation to her class.  The other was to decorate a tshirt with your choice of natural and man-made materials.  She had to to her presentation on Monday.  The tshirt had to be done and be worn to school yesterday (Thursday).  I used to be a huge procrastinator...HUGE!  My daughter seems to take after me.  She refused to do anything or decide anything for her presentation.  So it was Monday morning and I simply told her "Since you haven't made a decision you are just going to have to tell your teacher that you aren't ready".  Now I had made several similar comments all week long...ALL WEEK LONG PEOPLE!  No response.  Monday morning?  RESPONSE!  She quickly came up with the idea of "How to make a s'more".  Luckily I had all the props she needed.  We gathered a marshmallow stick, couple marshmallows, couple graham crackers, Hershey's chocolate, and a plate.  Sent it with her in a baggie and VOILA!  Got the rubric back on Wednesday... She nailed it!  Not a trait I had hoped to pass on, but at least she's a successful procrastinator.  :)

The tshirt?  We decided to use cotton, paper, and sand.  I found some tacky glue.  What did we make?  The Beach!  I mean, what else do you make when you live in the Bahamas?





Divider 2 
Tuesday was preschool story hour.  I was all on my own for this one.  One of my friends had to head home unexpectedly and the other is now a working momma.  So it wasn't fabulous, but I think the kids had fun.  We made thankful turkeys.  I got the pattern here.  For snack I made this fabulous caramel apple turkey from pinterest.  I then put a scoop of caramel, a couple chocolate chips, and a couple pieces of candy corn in a small dixie cup for each kiddo and added a couple apple slices for them.  YUM!
Apple & Carmel Dip Turkey for the holidays!  This would be so easy for kids to make.  But make sure they use the apple cutter (the ring where they press down and presto, slices)!
Divider 3 
Do you follow Babbling Abby at the Inspired Apple?  She very bravely has been sharing her adoption journey.  You can read about it here.   November is National Adoption Month.  November 17 is National Adoption Day.  My two kiddos are blessings through adoption.  We adopted both of them from foster care in Washington state.  You can find out more about adoption here.  Back in Seattle I helped create an outreach ministry that helps foster kids and foster families in Snohomish County.  We named it Abe and Sarah's Kids.  You can check it out here.  We provide backpacks with everything a foster child needs for those first 24-48 hours so that more foster parents can say "yes" when asked if they could take a child needing placement.  Abby has inspired me to think about sharing our story at some point.  So coming soon.... 

Divider 4 
Have you heard about the app She Reads Truth?  I love it so much.  This month I am immersed in the Hospitality plan.  I already ordered my Advent journal to go with the upcoming Advent plan.  I'm just hoping it arrives in time.  Mail takes 2 weeks or more to get here.  This verse has always spoken to me.  Especially as we fostered many children and adopted our own.



Divider 5 
You know when you have those days when your brain just turns on and you are full of ideas?  That was me this week as I was trying to decide what TpT products to create next.  Probably my most productive week EVER!  So to all of you out there who are stuck... hang in there.  It'll pass.  Then you'll be back to creating in no time.  Here's what I was able to do this week...

I updated this big seller.  I added vowel pairs and added 2 column sorts instead of just the 4 column sorts.  Ummm... hello differentiation!  :)  It tripled in size!




Then I created some Turkey versions of my popular Apple SPLAT game.  One for preschool/kinders.  The other for first/second grade.

 

 















My daughter is working on plurals right now so I created this to help practice them at home with her.  She loves this!  We're learning about Thanksgiving and plurals at the same time.  Win!
That's my week in a nutshell.  Enjoy your weekend.  I have a 3 day weekend with my daughter.  No school today for parent teacher conferences.  I'm headed to her conference in a couple hours.  Looking forward to hearing good news this year.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your daughter's projects. So cute!! I guess if you are going to be a procrastinator, it is best to be a successful one! Ha! I don't think I learned that skill until college.

    I've been enjoying Abby's blog too. I discovered it a few months ago when another blog mentioned her and the She Reads Truth app. I was so hooked on her story and went back and read her blog to learn more. Her adoption story is amazing! I would love to hear yours one day. I've got to get back into the Bible study...still waiting for the android app. I did most of the Peter one before things got busy. I'm going to have to check out what is up next.

    Have a great weekend, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear your adoption story- Abby's is so great! I also love the turkey made with apples. That may be just what I bring to our next faculty get-together!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete