Friday, October 24, 2014

Five for Friday


 fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]
Good Rainy Morning!
Yes, it rains.  Even in the Bahamas.  If you've been watching the national weather you may have noticed that Florida is getting a bunch of rain.  We are due east of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale so it has made its way here too.  Sadly, "paradise" isn't all sunshine and rainbows.  :)

I'm linking up with Doodlebugs Teaching for another Five for Friday linky party.  Here's what we've been up to this week.

Divider 1
Preschool story hour this week was all about spiders.  Sadly I don't have a picture of the spiders we made since my 3 year old son has destroyed not only his own spider, but my spider I made as an example.  We did something very simple though.  I traced large circles on black construction paper with a white crayon.  (I used a plate for a pattern)  Then I cut out black construction paper strips.  We had the kids that were able cut their own circles out.  My son did some of the cutting and I did some.  I gave each child 8 strips of black construction paper.  The adults folded them accordion style.  We let the kids glue the legs on.  This is a real test of what kind of parent you are.  Do you let your child glue the legs wherever?  Or do you help/suggest placement for the spider legs.  I meant to let Levi place the legs all on his own but realized I was "helping" after the first two legs.  I caught myself and let him do the rest.  :)  For snack my talented friend Paula made these cream cheese, olive, and cracker spider snacks.  We found this idea on pinterest.  Paula has the talent to make them.  :)
Olive spiders on cream cheese and cracker. Healthy yet spooky.
Divider 2
I signed up to be on the PTA at my daughter's school this year.  It is a new school and we are just getting going.  Wednesday was our second meeting.  The meeting was 3 hours!!!  It was still going when I left.  Needless to say, we have some communication wrinkles to work out but we planned some really fun events for the school community.  Windsor only has approximately 200 students so it's possible to meet most of the parents and get to know each other.  I ended up volunteering to make the flier for the bake sale next Friday.  I quick whipped it up using all my fabulous clip art, borders, and papers that I use to create my TpT products.  Here's what I made for our PTA board...


Divider 3 
My daughter received her first term report card.  Oh my goodness!  What a difference from last year.  I had tears of joy in my eyes as I was reading her report card.  We are so fortunate to have a fabulous teacher this year.  My daughter absolutely adores her and she really is a great teacher.  Just goes to show that what we value as teachers (building relationships, caring about our students, helping them become good citizens) makes a huge impact in the lives and learning of our students.  As a reward we headed out for pizza and a family bowling night last night to celebrate.  My kids love using the ramps to roll their balls down.  We got the red dinosaur this time.
  
Divider 4 
I might have mentioned before how expensive groceries are here.  I'm trying to make more items from scratch in an effort to keep our food budget under control.  Milk is our biggest expense.  I pay $10 for a gallon of my son's milk and $8 each for my daughter's and my milk.  My son drinks through 2 gallons of milk in a week.  So our milk budget alone is nearly $40 a week.  Next biggest item is bread.  My son Levi loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Some days he eats 2 of them.  We go through a lot of bread.  Bread is $4.49 a loaf for whole wheat bread.  I have a bread machine.  I've been making bread on and off.  Last week I decided I was really going to try and make all our bread in our bread machine.  My first two loaves turned out as what I call "brick of bread".  Yuck!  Didn't rise very well.  Kids wouldn't touch it.  So I went back to basics.  I did a simple loaf of white bread.  Sucess!  It turned out beautiful!  My kids love it too.  White bread is a treat for them.  Now I am going to work on perfecting a whole wheat bread.  But I feel better having produced one successful loaf.

Divider 5 
We went and got mail this week.  In the mail was an Oriental Trading catalog.  Yay!  I heart the Oriental Trading catalog!  As I was perusing through I found this fabulous craft I am going to order.  Nativity Sticker Scenes!  When my son turned 2 we did a construction theme birthday party.  We ordered the construction sticker scenes for the party and they were a huge success.  We still have a couple left and my son loves doing them because you can reposition the stickers.  Best part... they really aren't very messy.  Not that I have anything against messy crafts.  I actually have a very high tolerance for mess.  But it's nice to have fun projects that don't create a huge disaster.  My 3 year old has been nicknamed the wrecking ball lately.  So yeah, mess-free is sometimes appreciated.  :)

Well that's my week in a nutshell.  We are having a lazy rainy day today.  The rain is expected to move out by later tomorrow.  So then it will be back to sunshine and rainbows.  Ha ha!  :)

Happy Friday!


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Suri is having a better school year! Yay!!!! That is awesome news.

    I can't believe how much you pay for milk! WHOA! We recently switched K to organic milk and I was complaining because it was $5 for her half gallon compared to the $3ish we pay for a gallon of regular milk. So I have nothing to complain about!

    Hopefully the sunshine comes out soon. The idea of rain in paradise is just wrong!! :-)

    Happy Friday, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snack/appetizer idea!!! I think I'll be making that this week. You have an adorable family. Family bowling night looked like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing your week's happenings. :)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen,
      The spiders were so cute. My son wasn't sure about the olive, cream cheese, and cracker combo but a lot of the kids gobbled it up. I sure thought it was delicious! Bowling night was fun. I didn't take any pictures of the melt downs but overall it was fun. :) Thanks for stopping by!
      Joya :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Joya! You inspire me to get the bread machine out again! It always made the house smell so good! And enjoy these two years as "just" a mommy.. I had 29 five year olds in kindergarten today-- we have a severe substitute shortage so we re-divide up the kids- it went okay, but whew, am I beat! Nice to find you. See you around. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen,
      I totally forgot to mention how amazing it made the house smell. You are so right! I love the smell of fresh baked bread. 29 kinders sounds rough! Every district seems to have different strategies for dealing with substitute shortages. Never easy or very good solutions in my opinion but I don't suppose it's an easy problem to fix. Nice to find you too. I'm making one of your number lines. :) Enjoy your weekend. You've earned it!
      Joya

      Delete
  4. Hi Joya,
    I agree that the best part about making bread is the smell. Actually, that goes for most baking. Sounds like you are all enjoying what life has to offer in the Bahamas. Your PTA banner came out adorable. They are lucky to have you. I'm off to bake some Trader Joe's pumpkin bars:)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete