Friday, September 26, 2014

What is life like in the Bahamas?

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]
Hi Everyone!  I'm linking up this Friday with Doodlebugs Teaching for Friday.  I thought for this Friday I'd share 5 things I love about life in the Bahamas.  Trust me, there are plenty of things to complain about, but this post is all the positives!




Divider 1 
Number one probably has the be the weather.  Previous to moving here we lived in the Seattle area.  Seattle has amazing Summer and early Fall weather.  Just perfect!  But once the rain comes in October there are minimal days of sun til June.  Here I wake up and am always so grateful that the sun is shining.  Right now is our rainy season but we still have sun most days.

Divider 2
Number 2 is the swimming.  We swim almost every day.  We live right across from our community pool.  When we moved here last November my son Levi wouldn't even put his face in the water and my daughter was just barely beginning to swim a bit on her own.  Now they both swim on their own all over the pool.  Levi's favorite thing is having his daddy toss him spinning into the water.  He calls these "helicopter jumps".  He also loves it when his daddy just tosses him into the air and lets him fly.  He puts his arms up in the air and calls these "superhero jumps".

 
Super hero!
Divider 3 
Number 3 is the beach.  We live about 10 minutes from a gorgeous beach.  We probably don't go as often as we should.  The water is the most beautiful turquoise color and very calm most of the year.  The ocean is so warm here year-round.  Coming from Washington, the water was always FREEZING!  Not so here.  In the summer it feels like bath water some days.  We've been learning to snorkel.  The beach we like has awesome snorkeling.  Levi is usually content to play in the sand with his trucks and sand toys.  Suri doesn't love the sand so she spends most of her time in the water.  Here's a short video of the ocean from a week ago.  There were actually small waves the day I took this.  For those of you who are experiencing Fall weather right now, it's Summer somewhere. :)

video

Divider 4 
Number 4 is driving on the left side of the road.  Now, let me be clear.  I'm not saying driving.  Driving is INSANE here.  However, I love being able to drive on the left side of the road.  I also love all the roundabouts.  They just keep traffic moving.  I kind of love the chaos of them too.  Maybe it's because I'm crazy enough to drive a big SUV on this island and little cars don't stand a chance against me, but I really like them.  

Divider 5   
Number 5 has to be the sense of community here.  All the research shows that happy healthy people live in community with others.  For the first time we live close to my hubby's co-workers and family.  Our community is his co-workers and their families.  All the previous places we have lived we were close with my friends that I taught with.  My teaching co-workers provided us our community.  We lived too far away from Wiley's co-workers to get to know them and their families.  Now we live in a community with several of his co-workers.  These are the families we hang out with.  There are several stay-at-home mommas and we meet up at the pool, teach a preschool story hour once a week, and have fun play dates.  Living here on the island can be challenging at times.  We help each other through the ups and downs and we do life together. 

There you have it.  Five things I love about living in the Bahamas.  Life here has its challenges but that's another post for another day.  :)

Happy Friday everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Wow the Bahamas would be a lovely place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That pool is beautiful! I couldn't imagine driving there though! Stay safe!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joya,
    The Bahamas sounds like a dream! I know you have struggles too but it has got to be so nice to be surrounded by sun and beaches. So awesome!! I keep telling my hubby we need to come visit before you move. You know for a business meeting! Ha!

    Happy weekend!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO jealous! Nothing like that part of the world. It's my favorite. Happy fall and swimming through it!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete