Monday, August 11, 2014

Book Talk Tuesday!

I LOVE books.  What teacher doesn't, right?  As a child I read constantly.  I even snuck books to school and read them during class by hiding them inside the textbook I was supposed to be looking at.  My geometry teacher busted me a couple of times but he seemed to be the only one who caught on.  Or maybe the only one who caught on and said something.  :)

I had such a hard time deciding which book to choose.  I ended up deciding on one of my favorite back to school books: The Brand New Kid by Katie Couric.  Yes, the Katie Couric from NBC.  It's a story about trying to fit in and I feel like it's something all our kiddos worry about whether they are new to their school or not.  It's a brand new year in a brand new grade with a brand new teacher for every kid headed to school this year. 

Brand New Kid
Laslo S. Gasky is the new kid.  He looks different from all the other kids and talks different.  Ellie McSnelly and Carrie O'Toole are best friends who are thrilled to end up in the same second grade classroom.  They get carried along with their other classmates in being unkind to Laslo until one day Ellie overhears Laslo's mom talking.  She hears his mom crying and talking about how her son doesn't fit in and how she might have to have him switch schools.  This causes Ellie to stop and think about how she's been treating Laslo and how Laslo might be feeling.  She decides to make a play date with Laslo and they become friends.  From there things improve for Laslo.  It shows how one person showing kindness can make a difference and how important it is.  While written about second graders, I think first through third graders could get a lot from this book.  This was and still is one of my favorite back to school books.

My daughter is heading back to school on September 1 and she will be in second grade.  I can't wait to read this one to her and see what kind of discussions we have about it.  Now if I could only find it...the joys of moving internationally!

 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment